November 2nd, 2011
According to Trulia, five projects are nearly guaranteed to pay off in the long run:
1. Painting – A fresh coat of white paint or a neutral color helps lighten the rooms.
2. Landscaping – Curb appeal always matters. A yard that is clean, charming, and inviting helps.
3. De-cluttering and cleaning – A deep clean and getting rid of knick-knacks makes homes more appealing to prospective buyers.
4. Plumbing repairs – Ensure that all plumbing is in great shape, and take care of any water stains or water damage.
5. Staging – Hiring a professional to stage your home can up the value, or you can do it yourself. It can make a dramatic difference in the price your home sells for. According to Trulia, good staging is both “removing your personal belongings and replacing it with more artwork, decor and cleaner-looking furniture,” as well as “tweaking the home’s paint, wall coverings and even landscaping to show the place in its very best light. “